Sunday, September 04, 2005

I'd been out of touch with the news of late, so I got a shock when I read about the huge disaster in New Orleans and the Mississippi. I knew there was some hurricane somewhere, but for it to finally wreak havoc in the Big Easy was a fatalistic shock. Not that it's unexpected, really. New Orleans was an accident loooooong waiting to happen, what being in the hurricane zone and a large part of it being below sea level. It's spooky because I just saw a documentary on a plane ride just a month before that spoke about New Orleans being at huge hurricane risk.

Double spook by the fact that one of my oldest and dearest friends pretty damn near went to live there. Grace had been engaged to Liam, who lives and works there, but broke off the engagement some months before the wedding, which would have been in September last year. We're a little worried, since she hasn't been able to contact him since we heard about the disaster, and I hope it's only because of the power and phone outage - hope he's fine and well. In the meanwhile, I'm pretty glad Grace averted this herself, though it took an unfortunate circumstance.

No comments: