Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Make what you want of this. It's just something that popped in my head. [*Update: Oops! This isn't a real event, just a scenario that I came up with for fun!]

The photo, by the way, was taken a couple of years ago when I realised that it was one of the few remaining old-time bus stops left, and was probably going to be replaced very soon. Hence, this photo, for posterity.


At the Bus Stop

"Was that the thirty-two I just missed?"

"Yes, it was."

"Damn! Now I've got at least fifteen minutes to wait for that confounded bus! Don't you just hate it when you miss buses by just that bit?"

"I guess."

"I once tried running after the bus, banging on the side of it and yelling, "Stop! For the love of God, stop!" The driver didn't stop."

"Uh huh..."

"Drivers these days."

(Silence.)

"That's a nice dress."

"Eh, thank you."

"Really brings out your chest."

"What?"

"Yeah, you have a nice chest. That dress really makes you look swell, not to mention those. Oh hey, don't walk away! I was just being honest! Okay, okay, maybe that wasn't the best ice breaker. Didn't realise how pervy that sounded until I said it. Just thought you looked nice in the dress. Could we start over?"

"Start over what?"

"Start over having a conversation with a fresh acquaintance, of course. Starting now. Hi! Was that the thirty-two I just missed? Damn! Now I've got at least fifteen minutes to wait. My name is Jerry."

"I'm just waiting for the bus. Please leave me alone."

"Okay, okay. Sorry."

"It's okay."

(Pause. Pause somemore.) "Just that it's such a pity that two people who click so well from the start can't chat like new friends. And what a bonus to have a new friend who looks as good as you! Not that I'm coming on to you or anything, but I can always tell when someone's going to be on the same frequency as I am. Hah, I know what you're doing. You're pretending to look out for your bus to avoid talking to me! Don't worry, I'm not some kind of weirdo. I won't bite or talk about your boo...I mean, dress anymore. Come on, what's your name?"

"Oh, for crying out loud..."

"You're a Connie, aren't you? You look like a Connie. Connie? No? Yes? No? How about Candice? Say, they both start with 'C'. Let's see, Correen? Carrie? Clementine? Let me know when I'm getting warmer. Christy? Christine?"

"Fine! Fine! I'm Wendy!"

"Wendy? Odd, I thought you'd be a 'C' girl."

"Well, I'm not, and you can stop annoying me already."

"Annoying? I didn't mean to be annoying. I meant to be friendly, Wendy."

"By talking about my chest."

"I'm sorry! I already admitted that wasn't the best thing to say. Say, Wendy - like in the book Peter Pan. Heehee, got a thimble, Wendy? Any happy thoughts? If they're happy enough, you won't have to wait for that bus! Haha!"

(Under her breath.) "Geez, I feel like I'm waiting for Godot."

"Man, I remember that cartoon as well! Peter Pan was the first Disney cartoon I watched as a kid. I hardly watched any cartoons then. And the only thing I got to watch on TV was Matlock, which my grandma watched every Thursday afternoon. That old guy was really something. I wonder if I'll ever be that brainy. Then I might end up with all that white hair. Is it so bad having white hair? Richard Gere has white hair and he's still a stud. Do you have any white hair under all that brown dye? I'll bet you do - I can see the streaky bits where the brown goes over the white. Are you under a lot of stress? I know an excellent way to relieve stress. I derived it myself based on yoga principles. Well, sort of. You stand with your feet apart like so, bend over like you're going to fart, raise one fist above your head and the other in front like this, and then, as loudly as you can..."

"My bus is here! Bye!"

"Hey wait! You haven't heard the..."

"Bye!"

(Watching the bus pull away.) "Pity. Just as I thought we were connecting."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

omg! ARE YOU SERIOUS? or is it just the location you were at at the bus-stop - i would've told him to *beep* off!