Friday, February 24, 2006

Organic fractal

This is the weirdest-looking thing I've ever seen in a supermarket. It was labelled "Chinese cauliflower" and I'd never seen it before in my life. I resisted taking a picture of it on my previous visit to Fairprice, but couldn't resist taking one when I went again yesterday. Was tempted to buy one so I could examine it and take better pictures, but didn't want to waste a perfectly good vege (I doubt anyone in my house knows how to cook it).

Apparently, its structure is an almost perfect physical representation of a fractal. How cool is that? I read that it also goes by the name of Romanesco broccoli. Here's a clearer close-up of one (borrowed from www.georgehernandez.com).

1 comment:

kelvin said...

ewwwww... looks like some sort of fungus... getting the chilli-willies just looking at those pics!