Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Photo of the day


Passed by Clarke Quay at past one in the morning after Sunday night's post-performance supper. As would be expected, the place was almost deserted as the last stragglers had gone off after England vs Equador finished earlier.

From across the river, I caught sight of Clarke Quay, almost devoid of people, and marvelled at how the gaudy colours actually appealed to me. I normally balk at the kitschy facade of the place, especially by day, but at that moment, it looked almost lovely. Also another rare sight was the still water - ripples usually crinkle the water because of boats and such during the day. With such a perfect reflection, I couldn't resist taking as best a night shot as I could in the absence of a tripod.

Oh, but while on the subject of gaudy eyesores along the river, this hideous bridge is a landmark along the promenade, somewhere in between Robertson Walk and Clarke Quay.

Visible even from a point along Havelock Road, this monstrosity looks like an oversized playground monkey bar set with a crazed child set loose on it with a crayon. If it's attention they were aiming for when designing this thing, attention is what they got. It makes me cringe every time I see it.

1 comment:

Frederico said...

linked ya up from my site www.winterealm.com :-)

-Frederick