Sunday, October 22, 2006

This 'n' that

Been awhile since I could be bothered with the blog. Somehow the past few weeks of utter craziness has left my brain fried and devoid of anything interesting to say. But now that I finally have a lull in workload, here're some little interesting things I've noticed here and there.

Exhibit 1: Mystery suburban toilet bowl. Spotted at Serangoon Gardens along the pavement near where Liquid Kitchen is. Finding a toilet bowl stuffed with plastic bags and a slipper isn't something I see every day, so I deemed it worth a snapshot.

Exhibit 2a: Know how navel oranges have this little protrusion of extra flesh at one end? Well, this pomelo I chowed on some weeks back had a similar protrusion, and look - isn't it cute? The entire fruit was at least 8 inches across, but this little bump fit right in my palm. And it tasted just as sweet! Peeling it properly was a challenge, though.
Exhibit 2b: Single piece of the pomelo 'protrusion'. So small, so cute!

Exhibit 3a: If the haze has created anything good at all, it'd be the red sun we've been seeing. Didn't manage to catch the huge, bloody ball near sunset I saw awhile back, but managed to yelp at Kelvin to snap this sight from the car last weekend. Every now and then, little swirls of grey would glide across the red disc, which was quite a sight (a fleeting sight, considering I can only stop so long at a traffic junction).
Exhibit 3b: Close-up of the red-rimmed view of the sun.
Haven't taken any good photos of late, haven't found the impetus to venture out looking for interesting spots to snap. The haze is partly to blame I suppose. Tried taking a shot of the Deeavali light-up along Little India, but kinda hard to find a good spot to set up a tripod in the evening hours when people are thronging the streets in hordes.

Driving in that area during this period hasn't been a picnic either, not that it's ever been. People milling around that area seem to cross the road with some kind of death wish and I have to be quick with the brakes if I don't want to make hood ornaments out of these people. There are also few things more terrifying than driving down one-way traffic...and suddenly finding myself face-to-face with a cyclist or trishaw rider heading almost right into me. Looking for parking in the little lanes is another nightmare in ordinary times, and worse these past two weeks with MORE people gathering around the stalls set up along BARRIERS set up to close off lanes. It takes all my patience to not mow anyone down. But it's tempting.

Can't wait for Deepavali fervour to subside so that traffic conditions come back down to normal levels of insanity. Yes, I'm aware of how self-centred that sounds, wanting a festival to end fast just so I can drive more easily, but that's what city driving does to you. See how cabbies turn out?

No comments: