Friday, July 20, 2007

So hard to get a moment alone!! Even as I type this, my folks are walking in and out and I have to keep switching tabs so they can't see that I'm bitching about not getting a moment alone. Gaaaah. I think the only times I'm actually alone in a room are when I'm 1) using the bathroom, and 2) on the treadmill (and then again, sometimes someone will wander in).

While I'm grateful to get *some* bit of extra time to work out a little since my parents are here to help with the kids, their presence means that everything we do and say needs care and maintenance. Did I mention everyone in my family is high maintenance? Doesn't help that I'm the lowest in the pecking order.

Just one simple daily example: what to do about lunch.

Sis: What do you all want for lunch?

Me: (Tactfully silent)

Dad: Anything.

Mum: (Frowns) Eh... (frowns somemore) Anything lah.

Sis: ... ... ... OK, how about sandwiches?

Mum: Eee, I don't like sandwiches.

Dad: Feel like a burger.

Sis: I've got a one-for-one lunch coupon at this burger-and-ribs place.

Mum: (Scowls) Ang moh food again ah?

Sis: Then anything else you want?

Mum: Anything, anything!

Sis: Uhm...Mexican food?

Mum: (Scowls) No!

Sis: How about takeaway from Chinese Village?

Dad: Is Burger King nearby?

Sis: Not really...

Mum: What about the boy?

Sis: He'll eat noodles.

Mum: He just had noodles yesterday.

Sis: He likes noodles.

Mum: He shouldn't eat so much noodles. Anything else?

Dad: Why don't we all eat burgers?

Mum: I don't want burgers!

Sis: OK! OK! I'll buy Burger King for Daddy, Chinese rice for Mummy, find hot dogs somewhere for Sean, and Daffy and I will find something.

Dad: Hmm... Maybe a sandwich is better instead.

Mum: I don't want rice, just had rice on the plane last weekend.

Sis: Then what do you want??

Mum: ANYTHING!!

Sis: (Frustrated, silent)

Me: (Tactfully silent)

And so it goes. This should give a general picture of what it's like to have the entire family living under one roof.

Just three more weeks to go. Three more weeks to savour brainlessness while trying to preserve my sanity.

3 comments:

'stee said...

yikes. good luck!

Anonymous said...

POOR GIRL! Come back alive please!*hug*

issy

Unknown said...

dear daph, you are sorely missed. elle is back but lina's gone off to minnesotta for a conference. she'll be back mid august at which point we all need to get together (the usual R&H bunch).