Saturday, January 21, 2006

Why the whys

Here's my train of thought: I read Elaine's message of guilty pleasure in reading her own blog -> I admitted that I enjoy reading my own blog -> I thought about which entry is my favourite -> Figured it's my very first entry -> Remembered that it was the words in that first entry that made me want to start a blog -> Made me think of why I started a blog in the first place -> Made me think of all the "whys" bloggers get asked.

Then that confounding word "why" got stuck in my head. I'm sure countless people out there have been asked, rather inanely, why they want to keep a blog. (Personally, I place "Why do you want to keep a blog?" right beside "So when are you getting married?" - both are stupid, inane, tactless and rude questions.) In any case, some bloggers know their reasons, some have never even stopped to ask themselves. Non-bloggers have sometimes accused bloggers of being exhibitionists and narcissists, putting their thoughts in the public arena like that. I see blogging as no different from placing clay gnomes in one's garden.

Seems most people want an explanation for everything. Why does rain fall in drops instead of globs? Why do my friends find me smelly? Why do we exist? Why do I always pick the slowest lane in a traffic jam? Why do humans suffer? Why don't we know how big the universe really is?

I never understood why people must always want all their "whys" answered. Some think they might find their answers in a church. Some think they might find them in their kitchen sink. Some spend entire lives exploring their "whys" and "what ifs" (they're called philosophers). Some are resigned to the notion that they'll never know their "whys".

My question is, why does there always have to be a "why"? Is it so hard to consider the possibility that might not be a need for "why", that there may not be a reason for everything? Is it so hard to believe that some things just are, no "whys" or "buts" required?

(I think I've said "why" too many times already and it may be getting annoying.)

While I do believe that the physical and emotional world has its set of cause and effect, I find it hard to understand the obsession with wanting to comprehend the 'grander scheme of things'. Wouldn't one be so much more at peace in acknowledging that maybe life just is?

It's a personal perspective and everyone has their own way of viewing the universe, or at least what they can see of it (which isn't very much). While my views on 'purpose in life' and spirituality may not be the most popular, especially in the environment in which I grew up, what I've figured out for myself has given me the peace that my religious teachings have never given me. No "whys" about who I am. I just am.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Daphne,

This would make a wonderful monologue which you could do in your future one-woman show!

Why a one-woman show?

Because you can

Malti