Saturday, February 02, 2008

News in briefs...I mean, brief

It's now more than a month into the new year and it still feels new...even though it's just another arbitrary square on a calendar. A quick rundown of what's been going on in my 2-month silence:

November - early December

Mad Forest gears up. Some of the last writing projects of the year pop up on my computer screen like daisies on a fresh grave. In other words, I'm too busy to think or breathe. When we finally move into the theatre venue in gawdforsaken Woodlands, there's no time for even work, and we spend up to 15 hours a day in the theatre and practice space. And finally, the mind-splitting week of the show. Three intense hours each show, with none of us ever leaving the stage - three solid hours of non-stop concentration and engagement...and that's just when we are on stage, not including warm-ups, notes, tweaks, etc.

Mid-December - Christmas

Mad Forest is finally over. My brain says TTFN (ta ta for now). All of us are so exhausted from the mind-numbing process that our minds really do go numb - some of the Y&Wers actually do notice that this is my 'blonde' week. In the meantime, I just barely find time between Christmas prep to grab a couple of close friends out, i.e. the people I've neglected during the insanely busy period. Christmas comes - I'm sick. The day after Christmas, I finally get to meet dear Ruilian to give her her birthday present.

27 December - 11 January

I fly off to my sister's in northern California without realising that I haven't told many of my close friends where I'll be (they'll be the ones who are puzzled to call me and find my phone turned off). And here is where some friends get the wrong idea that I was away on holiday. I am with my entire family, and that is NEVER a holiday.

11 January - now

I reach home on a Friday and THAT's when my real break starts. I spend the following week getting over jet lag and finally resting after a mad last quarter. And the week that follows sees my mum arriving home. Sigh.

And now, I'm downright bored from the lack of work. Clients in the publishing industry seem to love to have overhauls at the beginning of the year, e.g. cutting back on issues, change of editors, etc. And in one spectacular case, one client simply disappearing, effectively stiffing me of more than $2,000 - I'll go stake out their office again very soon and see if I'll need (and can afford) to bring small claims proceedings against them.

Doesn't help that some friends are going through some serious shit in their love lives. I'm shuffling between worrying for them and wanting to slap a couple of them for emotional stupidity. My own singlehood isn't always fun - while I'm not actively looking, I am keeping open to suggestion, but the only suggestions are occasional light flirting and a handful of skanks and/or weirdos. Sigh again.

Being bored and semi-depressed is a bad combi. Makes me believe I'm lonely. Oh, and a suspicion that I'm falling ill - during a festive period AGAIN.

I need more work. Then I'll be happy again.

P.S. Photos akan datang.

No comments: