Tuesday, June 10, 2008

All for...

It's all worth it. It's all worth it. Gotta keep remind ourselves that when the going gets tough, especially in this industry.

Met up with an old friend (hi, Weixiong! I mean, Louis!) that I hadn't seen in years, and we started talking about liking one's job. In the midst of that discussion, I realised that being in theatre is the one of the few jobs (and I use the term loosely) where losing one's interest or passion in the work is a hazard. In other jobs, if you lose interest in them, you can kinda hang in there, it may not be that big a deal, and the paychecks will hopefully be regular and worth the time at least. Not in theatre - the moment you lose the passion, there's no point in going on. It's like love - when you lose sight of it, you've got to rediscover it, find what's left of it revive it, and if you can't or if it's truly gone, it's a dead thing.

I'm lucky. I know what I'm passionate about, and I share that with a handful of fantastic individuals. Some are my treasured friends, some have been colleagues at some point or other, some I hope to work with in the future.

I love words, and I love the stage. Everything else is there to feed that burning need to write and to perform, to bring life where there was only nothingness, to share in the energy of living beings and living spaces.

Missing sleep. Mental exhaustion. Physical exhaustion. Dwindling bank accounts. Insane scheduling. Rejection. Missed opportunities. Always having to fight. Emotional rides.

It's all worth it. Being truly alive is worth it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Totally agree babe..totally agree. Cheers..Issy