Saturday, November 29, 2008

Update on Yahoo situation

Got a reply from Yahoo after submitting the online form, specifying the problems I encountered. And what do I receive? A nice reply saying thank you for yadda yadda yadda - nice, obviously typed by a person, not a machine. A reply which stated that, in response to my problem which was forwarded to him by his colleague, he would send...an auto-reply. One that gave the exact same fucking useless info as on their fucking useless help page.

And, to infuse me with a sense of foreboding, the message stated that if this info doesn't help me (duh), I should provide a long list of personal details to prove my identity - and this includes my secret question and answer.

About 1 or 2 years ago, I had forgotten my password and tried to reset it, and when I didn't remember what the @#$%^& my secret Q&A were, they said they couldn't help me, even though I could provide ALL the other info correctly. Even though the usual channel for resetting passwords asked for only 40% of the info they requested here, not including the secret Q&A (provided that @#$%^& channel even works). How many ways do I have to try to reset my password only to find it doesn't work?

PLUS the fact that, during one of my many attempts to change my password this time round, they had asked for my secret answer...but didn't provide the secret question!! I Googled the problem and apparently it's an extremely common qualm. Come on, a lot of people don't remember what secret Q&A they entered, plus, wasn't the question entered so that we could be asked to answer it??

I never got the help I needed that last time. I'm filled with dread this time round.

At least I'm in California. I'll storm the damn Yahoo HQ if I have to. It's really time they revise their damn senseless security measures.

I feel about ready for some form of homicide.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Latest development:

Called the Yahoo customer care hotline. Finally - a living being to talk to!

However, they can't access my account through customer care. The hotline person said my account is to be referred only to the account security department which can ONLY be accessed through email. I can't speak to any living person in account security. I'm thinking may that's because they know know how much abuse they'd have to take.

So...I'm back to square one. And even more homicidal.

No comments: