Sunday, October 16, 2005

Beslan Bedlam

I feel so stupid. The Beslan school siege occurred more than a year ago and it barely even registered in my mind till today. I only vaguely recall reading a bit about it in the news last year, but it didn't seem as big a deal as the theatre incident further back.

Then today, I saw a 2-hour programme on Discovery Channel about the Beslan incident, and it totally shocked me. Somehow, reading about the blah-blah numbers who died in blah-blah incidents doesn't register as strongly as seeing them for yourself, even if you're seeing them second-hand.

Images of ordinary, living people being thrown into such abject tragedy can be very powerful, especially when they are children. Watching a small girl casually point out where her friend had been sitting before getting shot is profoundly unnerving. Right about the point where half-naked, filthy, wounded kids were shown being rushed to the hospital in tears, I started to cry. It was difficult to stop myself from bawling while watching the dramatic show-down footage when hostages, kids, gunmen, weeping relatives and dead bodies started to flood the screen in chaotic succession.











This picture of these schoolboy hostages weeping just following their rescue really struck me. It is the enormity of what they were witness to and barely survived, and what will haunt them for the rest of their lives.













There's little to say when faced with violence and political crappiness like this. It reaffirms my belief that humankind is pretty much an awful species. I love my mind inside that oversized brain, but the same grey matter produces such appalling behaviour in this particular species of animal. I think we evolved so far that we're starting to devolve.

Images courtesy of www.beslan-2004.front.ru

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

human is somewhat lower grade than animal because human DO killing its own species with funny excuses. Can those brain power be used to think about producing the next scientific breakthrough, instead of crafting those excuses? if they don't willing to do, can we downgrade their power and rights.? :) let's hope that our next google engine will help us to sort out the meaning behind every dollars we spend to, if every dollar means 1 vote, in economical context.