Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Who lights up who?

I'm suddenly reminded a single, radiant moment when happiness ruled true and pure, even for a moment. It wasn't some dramatic event. It wasn't even like I'd won any lotteries, gotten any presents, received any compliments or had any wishes fulfilled.

It was a smile. Or rather, two smiles.

I no longer remember what Kelvin was saying that made me break into a smile. I didn't think that it was anything extraordinary until I saw the look of pure delight that suddenly lit up his face in reaction to my mirth. He looked as if he was so utterly charmed by the way my smile had dawned on my face. His own face was radiating with untainted joy, the type that requires no rhyme nor reason, nor requires any conscious thought. As I looked at him, I felt his smile light up my heart and complete my own smile. We sat there in that moment of circular joy, delighting in each other, enjoying the voiceless, senseless happiness that flowed between us.

All this in a strange, unforgettable, inexplicable moment.

No comments: