Friday, September 22, 2006

Ninagawa's Medea

Anyone knows how I can get my hands on a video copy of Ninagawa's Medea production?

I saw a screening of it a couple of months back, and it was absolutely AMAZING, even if it had no subtitles. It blew me away and I had my jaw hanging open most of the way. It was translated into Japanese, but if you know the story and the general plot progression, you won't really need to understand Jap to get what's going on.

I'm hungry to get a copy, but it's impossible to find. So if anyone knows where I can obtain one, let me know.

Now I'm also curious to see what his take on Macbeth was like...

2 comments:

christophert said...

Dear Daphne. I don't know if you ever get to New York City or not, but I, too, was desperate to see the NINAGAWA MEDEA. I finally found a copy in New York City that could be viewed at the Theatre on Film and Tape Archive at the Library for The Performing Arts at Lincoln Center. It's part of the New York Public Library system. I have been to the archive many times and seen dozens of things there. It turns out that the original VHS copy of the Ninagawa MEDEA that they have had been in the collection of Joe Papp - the founder of The Public Theatre. The archive transferred the VHS tape to DVD and I was able to screen that in the archive's screening room at Lincoln Center. (NOTE: They now require people viewing this material to have a New York Public Library Card. Visitors may obtain one that expires in a year, I believe, for no charge at the circualtion desk on the ground floor of the archive. Hope this helps.

Unknown said...

Oh my, thank you so much! I've no plans to visit NY anytime soon, but I'll definitely make a trip to the library when I do. Thanks for the info!