Saturday, September 30, 2006

'Round the 'hood and the r'ver

Don't ask about the apostrophes. I just felt like it.

Took another walk by myself along the river promenade yesterday, armed with just my iPod, camera, pen and paper. And brolly and keys and wallet and tissue and lip balm and gum and...well, I'm always over-prepared. Snapped a few sights along the way.

I think this new condo is called the Cosmopolitan or something like that. It directly faces my block and I must say the tall-pillar architecture sure does draw questions. There has to be a good reason for it, though it does seem like a big waste of cement. I'm just grateful we don't get earthquakes here, so far anyway. From the front, these blocks kinda look like popsicles on sticks.

Although the school building opposite my place has long been vacated, the SBS bus guide still has my stop listed as "opposite River Valley Primary School". (The real RVPS moved to different premises nearby.) There's something about a vacant school building that suggests invisible life within it, almost haunted - not by ghosts, but by the lingering essence of the past presence of children along its empty corridors and within its classrooms. But I can't help noticing how well-maintained it is, considering it hasn't been used for some years. Look at the fresh-ish paint and clean premises.

The school yard is obviously mowed regularly. It seems too tidy to not be in use, but there you have it.

And, strangely, although the grass was obviously mowed very recently, going by the rough crop of cow grass and brown grass shavings strewn about, no one has ever bothered picking up the broken pieces of rope from the dangly thing.
I've always wondered about the couple of broken-down looking godown buildings along the river next to where Saboo Street stretches over the river. I wonder if Bangkok Bank just keeps this one there as a hopelessly depreciated piece of asset, or if it just sold it to someone who forgot it was there, but this latter one seems unlikely, what with property in this area becoming more expensive and prime. Just check out the slick restoration of the buildings standing shoulder-to-shoulder to it:
This is very Singaporean - take our old nostalgic buildings and tart them up. But at least these are not pastel like Chinatown. I think it actually might be cool having an office here if I were in a creative agency (and there are already quite a few of those hiding out in shophouses in the area; also, clients will be grateful to not have to pay an arm and a leg for parking and ERP when dropping by, compared to town offices).

No comments: