Monday, August 13, 2007

Streaking

No, not me. The Perseids. They certainly didn't disappoint!

Didn't catch the 'traditional' peak of the Perseid shower, but still caught a fairly good display. Saw 41 in about an hour, which is decent for this area.

True to what they say about Perseids, most of those I saw were spectacular, bright streakers, some leaving long, glowing trails and the occasional fireball. Long, ivory needles, bright silver flashes, little white streaks.

Was fun counting with my sis too. Lots of "Oh! Oh! Oh! Eh...eh...23!!" and "Where?? I missed it! KNN!!", and, while waiting for more meteors, doing our favourite past-time of bastardising songs (e.g. "You've too much poo to be true, can't take my ass off of you..."). Could hear the fog horn in the distance going off every few minutes, but the sky was completely clear, and the only haze I could see was the Milky Way stretching across the sky.

I finally gave up and went back in the house after freezing my buns off, and the sky gave me a parting shot with a beautiful bright trailer. I said my thanks to Perseus, and, for some reason, noted that Sagittarius had half-set into the horizon. Gave a nod to the Pleiades who were still low in the east, and said goodnight to all.

All this after having eaten tons of chips and ice cream while watching Francis Ford Coppola's Dracula on DVD. Feeling bloated and nauseas now and packing my overloaded bags at 2am, but hey, it was all worth it.

No comments: