Monday, September 24, 2007

Bumpity

Got a call from my dad during lunch today, got a small fright when he said he'd been in an accident. He turned out pretty much alright, save some bruising from the FOUR enthusiastically deployed airbags (good thing too, or his legs might have been busted if not for the bottom airbag). He just needed me to pick him up from where he was.

He was right. The accident site was easy to spot.
I guess we just hadn't expected to see a cab wrapped around a traffic light post. At first, my dad's car, seen in the background on the right, seemed alright at a quick first glance. That's until we spotted his front bumper 5 feet ahead of the car.

At least both drivers weren't really hurt. Apparently the cabby's two passengers had minor injuries from being thrown forward, most likely because they weren't wearing safety belts. According to my dad's side of the story, the cabby was Speeding (with a capital "S") through the red light, expecting it to turn green any moment, which it was in fact about to. However, because the cabby was overtaking two cars that were stopped at that same light, he didn't see my dad in the midst of a turn, trying to beat the amber arrow. Wham, wham.

Interestingly, on the way to pick up my dad, my mum had been commenting, "It must be a cab." While I'm not crazy about my dad's driving, most cabby driving annoys the crap out of me - many cabbies are inconsiderate and dangerous. I wouldn't be one bit surprised if this one did turn out to be at fault.

While waiting for my dad to be done, I had time to spot this row of trees leaning out from under the bridge, reaching for the sun.

1 comment:

'stee said...

holy crap!

glad your dad's ok!