Monday, June 04, 2007

Madness in the moist city

Yesterday marked the start of production madness, with a full day of rehearsals plus packing the set + props for the bump-in. Foolishly opting for supper at the midnight hour after the packing, I got home last night at almost 2am...and proceeded to do more work. Since bump-in was scheduled for 8am this morning, I got a grand total of 1.5 hours of sleep, at least a third of which was spent tossing about with too many thoughts swimming in my head. I'm surprised to find I've been very lucid and even cheery today (so far). None of the sleep-deprived-food-deprived crankiness. Then again, you can tell I'm truly tired when I don't recognise people or objects when they're right in front of me. I'm so tired and icky now. And still have to run errands and settle work stuff today.

These few days mark full-day rehearsals + prep in the theatre before we open on Wednesday. From there, it'll be shows almost all the way till I fly off on the 16th. Then time for my big, long-awaited break. I can't wait.

Last night when I was walking towards my place, I looked up at the night sky and the first thing I saw was Jupiter, bright, white and unwavering, just an hour or two before it would have been directly overhead. Immediately, I thought that it was nice that, if one looked up, Jupiter could be seen from Switzerland too, if somewhat lower in the sky. And then I gave myself a mental slap for that utterly corny thought. How American Tail kitsch.

I'm swimming through my day with 1.5 hours of sleep. The night before that was 3 hours. Collectively, I wonder if I even managed to clock a total of 30 hours of sleep last week. Probably not.

Which is why I rejected the notion of walking home from The Arts House earlier for the break between bump-in and tech rehearsals. I was walking to the bus stop by the river. When I felt the cool, moist post-rain wind on my face and the saw the approaching view of the water and Clarke Quay, I was so tempted to just walk home via the river promenade. Then I thought about the time it would take (probably half an hour at my languid, sleep-deprived pace) and that I wouldn't be feeling quite so cool by the time I reached home, and decided to abandon the idea. But it would have been nice on a more ideal day.

Backstage, Ghaz gave us a preview of his future sex-change aspirations, courtesy of Candice's hairpiece.

No comments: