Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Storage

An actor recently said that she would feel this or that emotion, and find herself thinking "I could use that emotion in a future role" [not exact quote].

I recognised that thought right away, but, interestingly, not as an actor, but as a writer. Actors collect emotions and experiences to fill their bank of tools, ready to whip them out when they next need it for their characters.

I collect too, but in a different way. I see something or experience something, and I immediately think about how, where and when I would write about it or where I could use something like that in a piece of writing. I think about what words I would use, the length of the sentences I'd use, the effect I'd be looking to create. And then I'd catch myself doing it - storing things away so I can use them to later to smith words.

It's time to start consciously doing it as an actor as well.

1 comment:

Daphne said...

Hello!

Well well, I was actually looking for my own site on Google, which I couldn't find damn it ;), and stumbled across yours! What a coincidence not? I like your site! I can almost understand your way of thinking, it seems to be quite similar to mine... You certainly put a lot of time and energy into the page, you can easily tell! Anyway, maybe you could come and take a look at mine?
www.daphnethoughts.blogspot.com

I just started so don't expect too much haha!

Bye bye
Daphne